- What are the options for online assessments?
You have three options:
- Moodle Quiz – if you want students to answer short questions such as multiple choices, fill in the blanks, etc.
- Moodle Assignment – if you want students to submit a Word/PDF file.
- Online Submission System – if you have a large class of students (>600) submitting files simultaneously at a certain deadline.
- How to set up a Moodle quiz if I have many students?
Moodle can support up to 400 students doing a quiz simultaneously:
- Check the following link and select an End-Time not in conflict with other activities. https://ecampus.hsu.edu.hk/itsc/moodle/activity_schedule.php
- Set up a long period (e.g., 4 hours) and allow students to have a fixed time (e.g., 1.5 hour) for doing the test within the period.
- Do not use “Pagination” to divide questions into pages. As the quiz is ending, students will jump from page to page to review the quiz, causing a heavy load. Put more questions in one page whenever possible.
- Do not set “Restricted Access” to make the quiz appear at a schedule time. Students will reload the course page to start the quiz and cause a heavy load. Instead, set Open and Close time for students to start the quiz.
- How to set up a Moodle assignment if I have many students?
Moodle can support up to 400 students submitting assignments simultaneously:
- Divide students into groups if needed, assigning each group with a different end-time in Moodle. This will allow you to support more than 400 students.
- Check the following link and select an End-Time not in conflict with other activities.
- Ask students to upload at least 10 minutes before the deadline to avoid possible end-of-time failures. Remind students to download and view their uploaded file before they click the “submission” button.
- How to support a very large of group of students submitting assignments at the same end-time?
If you cannot divide a class into groups and have more than 400 students, you may use the Online Submission System developed by ITSC. This service is for large classes only.
Please fill in the following Google Form to register, our colleagues will (i) create an assessment; (ii) send you the link to edit the assessment details.
Students will then logon to https://oss.hsu.edu.hk at the scheduled time to complete the assessment.